In a bid to support night life and economic development in downtown Los Angeles, Councilwoman Ysabel Jurado introduced a motion on Wednesday calling for a report on the feasibility of establishing a so-called “entertainment zone.”
If approved by the full City Council, the motion would direct city departments to analyze state law and evaluate potential implementation requirements and safeguards. Staff would provide recommendations regarding whether and how an entertainment zone could function responsibly in the downtown area.
The motion is expected to be considered by members of the Planning and Land Use Management Committee before reaching the full council.
“Downtown Los Angeles is one of the strongest economic and cultural engines of our city, but our local businesses, hospitality workers, restaurants, bars and cultural corridors are still recovering from years of disruption,” said Jurado, whose 14th Council District includes downtown and northeast LA neighborhoods.
“This motion asks whether Los Angeles can design entertainment zones in a way that is safe, structured, locally controlled and responsive to community concerns,” Jurado added.
Downtown businesses have suffered negative economic impact in recent years from the coronavirus pandemic, ongoing vandalism and other challenges.
Jurado aims to utilize Senate Bill 969 as another way to support downtown. State Sen. Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, authored that bill, also known as The Alcoholic Beverage Control Act. It was signed into law in 2024, and expanded local authority for cities to create entertainment zones where, under specific conditions, people may purchase alcohol from licensed businesses such as bars and restaurants and consume it within streets, sidewalks or public spaces in designated areas.
The law also set requirements related to local oversight, public safety and periodic two-year review.
San Francisco has multiple entertainment zones such as the Castro Entertainment Zone and Cole Valley Entertainment Zone.
Santa Monica also passed an ordinance earlier this month creating an entertainment zone for the Third Street Promenade. It’s open Friday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 10 a.m., with extended hours for special events.
Miguel Vargas, executive director of the Arts District Los Angeles Business Improvement District, hailed the effort, saying the proposal has the potential to reinvigorate downtown.
“Entertainment zones will re-imagine our city’s business hospitality sector, allowing Los Angeles to create lively and engaging public spaces where families can gather and adults can responsibly support local businesses,” Vargas said in a statement.
He added that with major events such as the World Cup and the 2028 Olympics on the horizon, the city should capitalize on every opportunity to attract more visitors, increase foot traffic and boost spending in downtown.
Jurado emphasized that she also wants to ensure that a potential entertainment zone in downtown does not create a “free-for-all.”
“It is about exploring whether managed public space activation can support economic recovery while maintaining strong safeguards for residents, workers, visitors and neighborhoods,” Jurado said in a statement.
Her motion calls on city departments to evaluate permitting zoning requirements, potential impacts to nearby residents and quality of life, noise and neighborhood impacts, transportation and mobility considerations, sanitation and operational planning, public safety and law enforcement, as well as liability risks.
The motion would require public hearings and outreach for families and residents in the district to hear their thoughts on a potential downtown entertainment zone.