The Boston Red Sox lost to the Diamondbacks, and finished Wednesday’s series finale against Arizona at 68-59, closing out a 16-day stretch without an off day. The record across that gauntlet sat at .500, eight wins and eight losses that tested the roster’s depth at every turn.
On Tuesday night in Portland, Maine, the most anticipated return of the second half arrived. Roman Anthony played his first competitive game since May 4, going 2 for 2 with a home run and two walks in his rehab debut with Double-A Portland.
The performance generated real energy.
Tracy Comments on Anthony
Chad Tracy said that Roman Anthony would sit for a day before returning to Portland’s lineup Thursday in left field, and again Friday as the designated hitter.
The plan is to build his workload gradually, stacking days and increasing time on his feet after months away from game action.
Tracy acknowledged the debut was encouraging but made clear the organization is not accelerating anything based on one night.
“We’re not in the conversation yet about what the exact timetable is,” Tracy said. “He hasn’t played in a while and DH’d for four or five innings. So there’s accumulating volume, not just of swings but being on his legs and things like that.”
GettyChad Tracy of the Boston Red Sox.
What Stood Out From the Debut
The results were impressive. What they represented mattered more.
Anthony’s opposite-field single in the second inning left his bat at 108 miles per hour, the hardest he had hit a ball to the opposite side all season. That kind of authority had been missing from his game before the injury. He entered the IL hitting .229 with a .321 slugging percentage, struggling to find the all-fields approach that defines his ceiling as a hitter.
“I’m glad it’s still in there,” Anthony said.
He spent his time away from the lineup watching Red Sox teammates drive the ball the other way and felt motivated to re-establish that element of his game. Tuesday’s performance suggested the reset is real.
GettyBOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – MAY 03: Roman Anthony #19 of the Boston Red Sox celebrates after hitting a double against the Houston Astros during the fourth inning at Fenway Park on May 03, 2026 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
More Help on the Way for the Red Sox
Anthony is not the only Red Sox player working his way back. Isiah Kiner-Falefa played in his first rehab game Wednesday, joining Trevor Story, who is already three games into his assignment with Triple-A Worcester.
The Red Sox have navigated the second half through depth and adaptability. Getting key pieces back healthy for the stretch run could change the equation heading into September.
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – APRIL 04: Trevor Story #10 of the Boston Red Sox blows a bubble with chewing gum between innings during a game against the San Diego Padres at Fenway Park on April 04, 2026 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jaiden Tripi/Getty Images)
Final Word for the Red Sox
Roman Anthony’s rehab debut answered the biggest question. The swing is right. The opposite-field authority is back.
Now comes the patience. The Red Sox are building him back on their schedule, not anyone else’s.
October is the destination. The path runs through Portland first.
Like HEAVY’s content? Be sure to follow us.
This article was originally published on HEAVY
The post Red Sox Reveal Roman Anthony Return Plan After Rehab Debut appeared first on HEAVY.