The Los Angeles Lakers’ front office overhaul under new ownership has encountered an early setback, with a key executive target declining a prominent leadership role, according to Yahoo Sports.
In a report by Yahoo Sports’ Yaron Weitzman, Minnesota Timberwolves assistant general manager Steve Senior turned down the Lakers’ offer to become executive vice president of basketball operations earlier this year.
“Senior, who declined to comment, decided to remain with the Timberwolves,” Weitzman wrote.
The development highlights both the stability of the Minnesota Timberwolves and the challenges facing the Lakers as they attempt to reshape their basketball operations under new majority owner Mark Walter.
Lakers Front Office Changes: EVP Search Faces Early Hurdle
The Lakers’ pursuit of a high-ranking executive is part of a broader restructuring effort following Walter’s acquisition of the franchise.
Team president of basketball operations and general manager Rob Pelinka said recently that the organization is conducting a wide search to expand its front office, including hiring two assistant general managers — one focused on player personnel and another on strategy and analytics.
“We have started a wide search and begun interviews,” Pelinka said in April.
The process is being led by Pelinka and longtime executive Kurt Rambis. According to Weitzman, executives tied to Walter’s baseball operations — including Andrew Friedman and Farhan Zaidi — have also been involved in interviews, reflecting a shift toward a more expansive organizational model.
Timberwolves Front Office Stability: Why Steve Senior Stayed
Senior’s decision to remain in Minnesota underscores the Timberwolves’ growing credibility across the league.
The organization has built a respected front office in recent seasons under president Tim Connelly and new owners Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore, helping drive sustained competitiveness in the Western Conference.
Within that context, declining a high-profile role with the Lakers signals confidence in Minnesota’s long-term direction.
Rob Pelinka Reputation: League Perception Adds Context
The Lakers’ search for additional executives also unfolds against the backdrop of Pelinka’s longstanding mixed reputation in league circles.
Pelinka was rewarded with a multiyear extension and promoted to president of basketball operations alongside his general manager duties prior to the ownership transition. He continues to lead contract negotiations and oversee basketball decisions.
Still, skepticism around Pelinka has persisted in NBA circles dating back to his early tenure. Former Lakers president Magic Johnson publicly accused Pelinka of “backstabbing” him following Johnson’s abrupt resignation in 2019, while multiple reports over the years have described distrust from rival executives regarding Pelinka’s communication style and credibility.
That history adds another layer to the Lakers’ struggle as they attempt to recruit top front office talent in a competitive hiring landscape.
Dodgers Influence on Lakers: New Organizational Model Emerging
GettyMark Walter sits court side during a 118-116 Los Angeles Lakers win over the San Antonio Spurs at Crypto.com Arena on November 05, 2025 in Los Angeles, California.
Weitzman’s report also highlighted the growing influence of the Los Angeles Dodgers’ operational model within the Lakers.
Walter, who owns both franchises, has leaned on the Dodgers’ deep, analytically driven structure as a blueprint for expanding the Lakers’ front office.
Pelinka has described the process as collaborative, with ownership and outside advisors working together as the organization modernizes its approach.
Lakers Offseason Outlook: Front Office Buildout Continues
The Lakers are expected to continue expanding their front office ahead of a pivotal offseason.
With salary cap flexibility and draft assets, the franchise is positioned to pursue roster upgrades while also reshaping its internal infrastructure.
The Lakers are expected to continue building out their front office ahead of a pivotal offseason, balancing roster upgrades with internal restructuring.
Senior’s decision is an early reminder that prestige alone may not be enough and that the franchise’s next move could carry outsized importance in defining its direction under Walter.
Like HEAVY’s content? Be sure to follow us.
This article was originally published on HEAVY
The post Lakers Made Major Front Office Offer to Rival Exec — The Answer Was No appeared first on HEAVY.