Colts’ Charvarius Ward Makes Retirement Admission After ‘Sad’ 2025 Season

The Indianapolis Colts wanted to create one of the greatest cornerback duos in the league. After signing Charvarius Ward Sr. in free agency last offseason, the team traded for Sauce Gardner from the Jets at the trade deadline, giving up two first-round picks to acquire arguably the best cover corner in the league.

The idea was that Ward and Gardner would form an elite pairing at a position the Colts had struggled at in recent years. But those two didn’t see the field together much in their first season in Indianapolis. Gardner missed time with a hamstring injury, while Ward suffered multiple serious concussions that nearly caused him to retire.

However, Ward chose to return for the 2026 season, and has opened up on why he contemplated retirement and what it means for him to keep playing.


Indianapolis Colts CB Charvarius Ward Sr. on Considering Retirement

Colts CB Charvarius Ward Sr.

GettyNASHVILLE, TENNESSEE – SEPTEMBER 21: Charvarius Ward #7 of the Indianapolis Colts defends against Calvin Ridley #0 of the Tennessee Titans during the second quarter at Nissan Stadium on September 21, 2025 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Johnnie Izquierdo/Getty Images)

“I feel good,” Ward said Wednesday, via the Colts’ official website. “I’ve just been working on myself and I didn’t want to finish my career like I finished last season. A lot of stuff happened out of my control. Emotionally, I wasn’t ready like I thought I was going to be ready. So getting my family out [to Indianapolis] this season, they’re closer with me. That’s going to help me out a lot, being whole and happy.”

  UConn’s Braylon Mullins: 5 Fast Facts to Know About the Basketball Star

“Last year, I had the motivation, but it was kind of like I was trying to fake it because I was sad at the same time,” Ward continued. “Now, I’m happy and I’m grinding, and I’m feeling much better physically.”

A former undrafted free agent out of Middle Tennessee State, Ward began his career with the Chiefs and won a Super Bowl in Kansas City before signing with the 49ers as a free agent in 2022. He spent three seasons in San Francisco before signing a three-year, $54 million deal to play for the Colts in 2025.


Colts CB Charvarius Ward Sr. on His Goals in 2026

“I felt like it was clear I wasn’t at my best last year,” Ward said. “When your heart and your head aren’t right, your career and your profession are probably not going to be right either. This offseason I just worked on getting my heart and my head right, just feeling fulfilled — like a good man, a good person, happy person. If I’m happy off the field, I already know what I’m going to do on the field. It’ll kind of come easy to me at this point in my life and career.”

In his first season in Indianapolis, Ward had 17 tackles, seven passes defensed, and a fumble recovery across seven games. Now, with a fully healthy offseason to get right ahead of him, he has the chance to be a much higher-impact player with the Colts in year two.

Like HEAVY’s content? Be sure to follow us.

This article was originally published on HEAVY


The post Colts’ Charvarius Ward Makes Retirement Admission After ‘Sad’ 2025 Season appeared first on HEAVY.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *