Trump administration to end provisional residency for 200,000 Salvadorans


By Nick Miroff |The Washington Post

WASHINGTON – The Trump administration will announce Monday that it intends to cancel the provisional residency permits of about 200,000 Salvadorans who have lived in the country since at least 2001, leaving them vulnerable to deportation, according to mulitple people on Capitol Hill who have been apprised of the plan.

The administration will notify the Salvadorans they have until Sept. 9, 2019 to leave the United States or find a new way to obtain legal residency, according to a copy of the announcement prepared by the Department of Homeland Security that will be published Monday morning.

The Salvadorans were granted what is known as Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, after a series of earthquakes devastated the country in 2001.

DHS is preparing to announce that Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen has decided the conditions in El Salvador have improved significantly since then, ending the original justification for the Salvadorans’ deportation protection, these people said. .

The decision is likely to please immigration hard-liners who argue the TPS program was never intended to provide long-term residency.

In November, DHS ended TPS for 60,000 Haitians who arrived after a 2010 earthquake. Soon after, TPS was halted for 2,500 Nicaraguan migrants. A six-month extension was recently granted to 57,000 Hondurans living in the United States with provisional residency, a decision made prior to Nielsen’s arrival by then-Acting DHS Secretary Elaine Duke. That moved frustrated White House officials who wanted her to end the program.

Monday’s pending announcement is in line with the Trump administration’s wider goal of reducing legal immigration to the United States and increasing deportations, said Kevin Appleby of the New York-based Center for Migration Studies.

“The fix has been in for these TPS decisions, regardless of the facts on the ground in these countries,” he said. “The decision on El Salvador is particularly damaging,” he said. “It not only will uproot families and children who have lived here for years, it also will further destabilize an already violent country. It is incredibly short-sighted and undermines our interest in a stable Central America.”

The Washington Post’s Ed O’Keefe and David Nakamura contributed to this report.

…read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Latest News

      

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *