Justin Herbert will quarterback one series in the Chargers’ preseason game Thursday night against the San Francisco 49ers at SoFi Stadium, his first actual snaps since an entirely forgettable showing during an AFC wild-card loss to the New England Patriots last Jan. 11.
To be sure, the second of the Chargers’ three preseason games this month does not count in the standings. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t count for something, which is why Chargers coach Jim Harbaugh said earlier this week that the starters would play one series and then exit the game.
The makeup of the offensive line that starts in front of Herbert on Thursday and beyond remained unsettled after the Chargers announced Wednesday that starting center Tyler Biadasz suffered a left knee injury during Tuesday’s joint practice with the 49ers and was “in the process of gathering additional opinions.”
ESPN.com and NFL.com each reported, without citing sources, that Biadasz sustained an ACL injury and additional damage that would sideline him indefinitely. Biadasz was carted from the field after a 49ers defender careened into his lower legs from behind during an 11-on-11 drill.
Rookie center Jake Slaughter replaced him for the rest of the practice.
Harbaugh was not available for comment Wednesday.
Herbert said Tuesday, “Obviously, you pray for the best.”
In addition, the Chargers also have been without left tackle Rashawn Slater for the past eight practices in training camp after a flare-up of the left knee injury that sidelined him for all of last season. Slater was carted from the field after he was hurt on Aug. 7, 2025.
Slater watched some of Tuesday’s practice from the sideline while dressed in a T-shirt and shorts and wearing a black neoprene sleeve on his left leg. He sought to downplay the severity of his setback during an interview Aug. 11, saying it was “nothing to be concerned about.”
“Coming back from a major injury, the smartest thing is to be cautious,” he said.
So, it’s likely the Chargers’ starting offensive line against the 49ers will be made up of Trey Pipkins III at left tackle replacing Slater, and with Kayode Awosika at left guard, Slaughter at center, Cole Strange at right guard and Joe Alt at right tackle.
Slaughter could continue at center or guard while the others head to the sideline.
Slaughter, a second-round pick from the University of Florida, also has been locked in a battle with Awosika and three others for the starting left guard position after Zion Johnson signed with the Cleveland Browns as a free agent during the offseason. Awosika appears to be the top candidate.
Neither Harbaugh nor offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel would handicap the competition except to say the battle was ongoing, one of several during training camp, but easily the most compelling. The makeup of the line has been an intriguing storyline since Slater’s injury last August.
Slater’s injury was followed by two ankle injuries suffered by Alt, the second of which came in Week 9 against the Tennessee Titans and sidelined him for the rest of the season. The Chargers struggled to replace their Pro Bowl tackles and Herbert and their offense suffered mightily.
A four-game winning streak late in the season catapulted the Chargers toward their second consecutive 11-win season and wild-card playoff berth in Harbaugh’s first two seasons as their coach. But the Chargers’ offense stagnated without proper protection for Herbert.
Nowhere was that more evident than during their 16-3 wild-card loss to the Patriots when Herbert completed only 19 of 31 passes for a rather pedestrian total of 159 yards. New England sacked him six times, forced him to fumble twice and dropped him to 0-3 in the playoffs for his career.
General manager Joe Hortiz devoted his offseason to bolstering the Chargers’ offensive line, so the team wouldn’t be caught shorthanded and shuffling players around in order to fill voids caused by injuries. The Chargers went into training camp with added depth on their line.
Slater and Alt were cleared to go full speed when camp opened July 29. Hortiz had revamped the interior of the line by signing Awosika, Biadasz and Strange to make up for the departures of Johnson, center Bradley Bozeman (who retired) and right guard Mekhi Becton (who was cut).
Four of the Chargers’ draft picks in April were offensive linemen, led by Slaughter.
The joint practice with the 49ers was designed to give Herbert a chance to work out the kinks in McDaniel’s new offense under something resembling game conditions. Now, he’ll play one series Thursday under actual game conditions without two-fifths of the anticipated starting offensive line.