Man charged for attacking first grader at California elementary school

A homeless man was recently charged for assaulting a first-grade student last month inside a bathroom at Philadelphia Elementary School in Pomona, officials said.

“The boy did not know the suspect,” said Aly Mejia, a police spokeswoman, adding the child was punched.

“He was seen by medical professionals and he’s OK,” said Ronald Gonzales-Lawrence, director of governmental relations for Pomona Unified School District.

The 25-year-old suspect pleaded not guilty on Feb. 26 to felony child endangerment and a misdemeanor, court records show.

Around 11 a.m. on Feb. 24, the suspect is accused of jumping a fence at the campus, at 600 E. Philadelphia St., and going into the bathroom and assaulting the child.

A second boy walks into the bathroom and startles the suspect, who ran away and jumped the fence, Gonzales-Lawrence said.

An adult witness followed the suspect off campus, Mejia said, and officers arrived and detained the man, who was identified by the student witness.

  Bay Area arts: 10 cool shows and concerts to catch this weekend

“We are working to address the concerns of parents and increase safety measures,” Gonzales-Lawrence said.

He declined to comment on the security measures.

As of Tuesday, the suspect remained in custody at Men’s Central Jail in Los Angeles in lieu of a $75,000 bail.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *